A Car Accident Lawyer in Texas Who Is Committed to Clients
Car accidents in Texas happen more than you might think. Every two minutes and 29 seconds, someone sustains an injury in an auto accident in Texas. That's 79,573 people each year, according to statistics compiled by the Texas Department of Transportation in 2011. If you or a loved one was injured in a car accident, or a loved one died in an accident in Houston, Galveston or elsewhere in Texas, you will need a strong and reliable car accident lawyer in Houston on your side who will fight for your rights. You need the Law Offices of Gene S. Hagood.
We know that auto accidents can drastically change a life in an instant. You may be unable to walk due to paralysis. You may be hospitalized with internal injuries. Your loved one may be suffering from traumatic brain injuries. You may be unable to work and collect a paycheck to pay your bills. An accident can create a cascade of questions: How do you pay for your medical expenses? How do you pay all your other regular monthly bills? How do you survive?
What should I do after a car accident?
If you’re involved in a Houston car accident, try to stay calm so you can assess the situation. Once you have your bearings, you should:
- See if anyone has been severely injured – If anybody requires emergency medical attention, call 911 right away to request an ambulance. If you’re trained to do so, you may provide first aid to anyone in need.
- Move your car out of the road – If it’s safe and you’re able to drive, activate your hazard lights and move your car out of harm’s way so that you don’t impede traffic. This will also help you avoid another collision. If you’re not able to move your car, place flares or safety triangles on the road to alert other drivers there’s been a crash.
- Call the police – In Texas, you are legally required to report any accident that results in injury or more than $1,000 worth of damage to one or more vehicles. When the investigating officer arrives, tell them the truth and stick to the facts. Remember to request a copy of the Texas Peace Officer’s Crash Report (available online for a fee from the Texas Department of Transportation).
- Exchange information – Get the name, address, phone number, license plate number, and insurance info of everyone involved in the crash. Do not talk about the accident or argue about who’s at fault. Even saying something that seems harmless like “I’m sorry” or “I didn’t see you” can be taken out of context as an admission of fault.
- Find witnesses – If anyone saw how your crash happened, ask them to stick around to give a statement to police. Don’t forget to take down their name and contact information, as well. Eyewitness testimony can often tilt the balance of your claim in your favor.
- Take lots of pictures – Document the crash scene with as many detailed pictures as you can take. Be mindful to include all property damage (especially to the cars involved), any tire marks, street signs, traffic signals, road hazards, and construction. You should also take pictures of any visible injuries.
- Write down what happened – While everything is all still fresh in your mind, write down the day, time, and location of your crash. You should also write down everything you can remember in the moments right before, during, and immediately after your car accident.
- Seek medical attention – Even if you aren’t experiencing any noticeable symptoms or pain, see a licensed medical professional within 24 hours of your crash. Some car accident injuries take days or weeks to manifest, which means you may be injured and not even realize it. Follow your doctor’s orders for treatment, attend all follow-up appointments, and remember to document all your visits.
- Contact a car accident attorney – Do not give the insurance company or someone else’s lawyer a statement without first speaking to an experienced car accident attorney. A personal injury attorney can protect your rights and help you recover compensation by filing an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
What injuries can you get from a car accident?
Whether you were rear-ended by someone who was texting while driving or you got into a car accident with a drunk driver, being involved in a crash can result in serious injuries that may cause severe pain and debilitating symptoms. Some of the most common car accident injuries include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Neck Injury
- Head Injury
- Broken Bones (e.g., broken ribs, broken arm, etc.)
- Spinal Cord Damage
- Back Injury
- Herniated Disc
- Knee Injury
- Internal Bleeding
No matter what type of injury you sustained in your car accident, seek medical attention from a licensed medical professional within 24 hours of your crash.
Is Texas a fault or no-fault state for car accidents?
Texas follows a fault car insurance system, meaning the driver who caused your crash is liable for your damages. Under Texas law, after a car accident you can pursue compensation for your damages by:
- Filing a first-party claim with your own insurance company.
- Filing a third-party claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
- Filing a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
If the at-fault driver’s insurance policy won’t cover all your damages, or in the event you were involved in a hit-and-run, you may also be able to recover compensation if you purchased uninsured/underinsured motorist (UI/UIM) coverage with your insurance policy.
How much does a Houston car accident lawyer cost?
Most car accident lawyers will represent you on a contingency fee basis, which means there are no upfront costs and you pay nothing unless there’s a financial recovery in your case. If you are awarded compensation, the lawyer will typically charge you a fee in the form of a percentage of your payout. Fees vary from law firm to law firm, but the industry standard is typically anywhere from 33-40 percent.
How we can help after a car wreck
Questions often lead to more questions. And the more questions people have, the more anxious they get. Relax. We can help. At the Law Offices of Gene S. Hagood, our car accident lawyers in Houston understand how difficult it can be knowing what to do after a car accident. That's why we're here. Our Houston car accident attorneys have been worked with clients for decades, earning them the compensation they rightfully deserve after a serious auto accident. We know that recovering from a serious injury can be a difficult ordeal, but the process of obtaining justice should not be. As experienced legal professionals, we know how to aggressively fight insurance companies and help clients get the compensation and closure they deserve.
We pursue the maximum compensation our clients are entitled to receive in a Texas car accident. Depending on the circumstances, a client may be entitled to the following:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Expenses related to rehabilitation or physical therapy
- Loss of companionship with a spouse
A Houston car accident attorney who is driven to succeed
Serving people in Houston, Galveston and throughout Texas, the Law Offices of Gene S. Hagood knows how to handle all different types of motor vehicle accidents. Whether you're dealing with a drunk driving accident or a speeding crash or a hit and run accident, no case is too complicated. They can work with you every step of the way, from dealing directly with insurance companies to negotiating a settlement that covers the true cost of your accident.
Our legal team can investigate your accident to find out what really caused your crash. We regularly review all documentation, identify and interview witnesses and even consult experts when needed. We know how to build a strong case that proves negligence led to the accident that left you injured. Then we fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Talk to a Galveston auto accident lawyer. At the Law Offices of Gene S. Hagood, the legal professionals leave no stone unturned. That's why they have been able to secure so many large, multi-million-dollar verdicts and settlements for clients. They simply outwork the competition. They're always one step ahead, thinking about what's best for the client.
Put your trust in a law firm that puts people first. Contact the Law Offices of Gene S. Hagood today. We don't tell clients what to do. The same goes for you. We will listen and work with you to design a legal strategy that addresses your specific legal needs. That's just one of the things that sets us apart. Your case matters here. Discover for yourself. Call (800) 632-9404 and schedule a free case evaluation.